The French Legation was constructed in ca. 1840 during the Republic of Texas era and is the oldest building in Austin. The historic two and a half acre site has four structures and a cistern: the restored Legation House, the kitchen building, a privy, and the carriage house which was rehabilitated into the Visitors Center.
The Hutson|Gallagher design team has a long multi-year history working on this site, and when the THC Historic Sites Division assumed stewardship, our team executed an aggressive program, one that positioned the property to function as a public park with a vendor-leased café, as a cultural heritage center with exhibits and tours, and as a mid-size entertainment and events venue for 300 – 500 guests. The former carriage house was rehabilitated into a fully functioning Visitors Center, with a large addition. New services include public restrooms, a commercial staging kitchen, a café and exhibit space, and staff offices. Numerous ADA upgrades made the historic site fully accessible.
Professional Photography by Brian Mihealsick. Project Images by Hutson Gallagher, LLC.